Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Change of Address


I've been so busy getting the APA/SF Blog going. I've neglected posting the biggest news from Winokur Photography. We moved. I'm very happy to tell you about The Foundry Studio, Winokur Photography's new home. This building, erected around 1907, as the home of Pelton Water Wheel's foundry. It has also been a studio space for a succession of talented photographers and other artists. Read about Pelton on Wikipedia, it's fascinating. I'm proud to work in a place which was once the home of a company combining craftsmanship and engineering to make a cutting edge product. After all, photography is a juncture of art and science. 



We're located in what has been called Media Gultch, a part of San Francisco's Mission neighborhood. We have great resturants as wells as Calumet, Left Space, Figureplant and JCX Expendables as neighbors. It's pretty convenient.


That barber's chair (left) has traveled with me from Philadelphia to San Diego to Palo Alto to San Francisco. I'm pretty sure it's not going to be doing any more traveling for some time. This is the first time I've had a studio of my own. Even though my work is very location oriented, this studio is a great HQ. It will be an environment to experiment in, build sets, fine tune lighting setups and otherwise make a big mess.


Just because its an old warehouse doesn't mean it can't be homey. Come and visit sometime.

-Michael

2 comments:

Rob Prideaux said...

Hey, congrats on the new space! So, does that chair mean that you'll be doing haircuts as well?

Michael Winokur said...

Yes Rob, portrait and a hair cut - 2 pence.