Thursday, December 31, 2009

Happy New Year from Winokur Photography


I love my clients, most are friends all are creative collaborators. Each year I pick something that I can brand and give to them. This year I chose the Sharan SQ35 pinhole camera which happens to be sold by my friend Doug’s company Noted. The Sharan camera is a cardboard kit with a pinhole lens that makes square images on 35mm film. Since the kits take about an hour to build I figured none of my clients would build them – so I assembled all 25 cameras, packaged them with film and decorated them with custom “Winokur Photography” stickers. In previous years I’ve given “private label” wine. Since this year’s gift was so much more labor intensive then the wine I had to keep the list quite tight. The cameras went to my current clients and some very special dream clients.
I figured no one would have film hanging around anymore, so each camera was given with a roll of film to get started. In a week or so I'll be emailing everyone who got the cameras and asking them to submit their pinhole camera photos for display on this blog. Of course there will be a top-secret, super special prize for the person who sends the best pinhole image.
The instruction on the SQ35 make Ikea's instructions seem stratight forward. Assembling the cameras got easier after the first few but the design has some quirks and I ended up going over every one of them a second time to make sure all their little parts were properly stuck together. If the Sharan folks read this, I have some free advice for improving the kit.

Twenty-five note cards and 25 sets of promo cards.


Recycling: I used the original Sharan box as part of my home-made packaging.

Say twenty-ten. New Year's note cards, with Kurt Herr's logo design.

The labels for the cameras were printed at Community Printers where our friend Ross helped me get everything tuned up. We didn’t want to spring for a die cut so I thought I’d be hand cutting each sticker. The Xacto cuts just weren’t pretty enough to satisfy my QC team so I went to Techshop and used their Helix laser etcher engraver for a high-tech, low volume die-cutting substitute.

The Winokur Photography labels on the cameras were printed in six flavors.Those hi-tech black rubber bands are a key to the workings of the SQ35 - they hold the back shut.

My assembly plant all cleaned up after the build, everything counted out and ready pack.

The post office took 16 days to send the boxes I ordered, last minute purchase from U-Line and one-day shipping saves the day. Of course, the day after the cameras shipped USPS shows up with 25 boxes. Notice the Burberryesque ribbon, that's how you know we're styling here at WP.

All present and accounted for, ready for the post office.

3 comments:

About me said...

brilliant! now how do i get on that mailing list ;-P

Michael Winokur said...

Technically you have to be a client, but you never know, maybe there will be a second set of cameras for collaborators and other partners in crime.

Anonymous said...

I love this idea, I was lucky enough to receive one and can't wait to use it. Michael, you need to get a gallery up of the shots that get taken!