Thursday, August 27, 2009

Michael Garlington


When I had no money to spend on such things (that's still true) I dropped a whopping $200 on Michael Garlington's book "Portraits from the Belly of the Whale." I'm still thrilled with my purchase which included a beautiful print called "The Fishmonger's Daughter." Seen here.

I knew right away that Garlington was a true artist. For one his images are imaginative and beautiful. Think Christopher Walkin's adventures in Wonderland. What really tipped me off is I met Garlington in San Francisco traffic. He was driving a VW bus which was wallpapered with his work prints. I pulled up next to him thinking what nonsense is this, then I saw that the images were brilliant. Here is Garlington's bio from the Gallery 291 website:
Michael Garlington is an acclaimed Northern California photographer and master printer. He began shooting his own images while working at Spindler Photography, a high-end lab in San Francisco that caters to the finest photographers working today. His work has been purchased by Yale, Dartmouth and countless private collectors.
They should just show a picture of his van - it tells the story more fully.

If you are in SF, see his work at Gallery 291 starting September 10, 2009.

No comments: